Monday, March 8, 2010

My Opinion of the Janissary Tree

I have finally finished The Janissary Tree. Although I was liking this book when I first started reading it, I did not really enjoy it once I finished it. I felt that the book jumped around too much and had way too much detail. I feel that the author could have omitted many parts of the book such as the scenes where he goes into detail about what Yashim is cooking. The book jumped around so much that I began losing track of the plot and which characters played what role.

Although I did not like The Janissary Tree as a novel, I do believe it is a reliable source in learning about the Tanzimat. Jason Goodwin's scenes with the Janissaries rebelling match up perfectly to what we learned in class and what is in the textbook. For example, we had learned in class that the Janissaries turned their cauldrons upside down when they were rallying together to rebel. In the novel, Yashim connects the cauldrons with the dead bodies in them to the fact that Janissaries would turn their cauldrons upside down and bang on them when they wanted to rebel with violence. Although I did not enjoy the actual storyline of the book, I do feel that the author made excellent connections to historical fact and really made me understand this important time of the restructuring of the Ottoman Empire.

Another part that I enjoyed about the novel was when the author discussed Napoleon's invasion into Egypt. When we learned about this in class, I was fascinated because I had never known that the French at one time were in Egypt. Naturally, I was drawn into the book when the author spoke about it because it was a fact that was foreign to me. I did not enjoy The Janissary Tree as a novel, but I do feel that it is a good source in learning about the Janissaries in the Ottoman Empire and their eventual end.

1 comment:

  1. I feel the same about the book as a novel. I feel that it was a great learning tool, and I actually came away with so much more knowlege than before reading it. However, I do feel that there must be some alternative book that is about the same era without all the junk (ex. 3 pages about the food Yashim is cooking). If there were a book with less of the jibberish and unnecessary details, I feel that it would be much richer, easier to read, and the reader would actually want to go on to the next chapter instead of skip over parts. I hope our next book is better... :)

    ReplyDelete