Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Arab-Israeli Conflict


Lately in class, we have been discussing the conflict over in the Middle East regarding Arabs and Jews. This conflict began in the 1840s, and it arose because Jews were trying to push Arabs off of land that they had settled on first. It was hard for Jews to do this because one of the Arab advantages was demography. For example, the Jewish population in Palestine did not exceed 5% in 1850. A key factor into this conflict is Zionism, which is Jewish nationalism. It is because of Zionism that the Jewish population in Palestine finally began to increase. It went from 5%-10%.This topic is particularly interesting to me because I have never learned very much about the conflict prior to this class.

I always learned about the Holocaust when millions of Jews were killed because of their religion; I always learned that many people sympathize with Jews after the Holocaust. However, once we began learning about the Arab-Israeli conflict, I began to realize that Jews have also killed millions of people that were Arab. It is interesting to see how some people sympathize with Jews and how people can also be against Jews because of their actions in this conflict.

1 comment:

  1. I honestly never learned about the Israeli and Palestinian Conflict before. It wasnt until last year when we touched upon it in class and then my teacher did a lesson on it because of a documentary she wanted to show us that was about the conflict. But by this time I was already in college, I had gone through my whole K-12th grade experience not knowing anything except what I saw on the news. We had talked about the Holocost in great length although its interesting how that Palestinian people never crossed my mind.

    ReplyDelete